Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Part 1: The Search...

We're research people. research, research, research...then more research...

so, having said that, we spent 6 months straight talking, interviewing, analyzing, and revisiting with potential builders. we talked to a total of 21 builders. from tract builders with the "build on your lot" option, to small builders that only build on your lot.

I even attended the build on your lot seminars and other builder held events to learn about their building methods.

During this period of searching, I came across the www.schumacherhomes.com site several times. We saw their 1,2,3 steps in building your home on their main page, but quickly ruled it out as impossible, and probably a scam. So we just look at their floor plans. We kept going back and forth among the top 6 builders we had narrowed down with questions and general bids. Around the 5th month, we visited the showroom of two of the final 3 builders left on our list (Precision Homes, and Tilson Homes). During our wait for their bids (usually takes about 1-2 weeks turn-around time for pre-sales quotes after changes), I came across Schumacher Homes’s site again and figured it wouldn’t hurt to visit them too…so on the spur of the moment, we picked up the kids and drove to Conroe from Houston to see their show room, just out of curiosity more than anything.

After 1 hour, I got tour of the showroom, illustrations of how the house is put together (studs, insulations, backing boards, etc.), standard selections, upgraded selections, etc. I was less skeptical, but still didn’t think they’ll be the one. My husband on the other hand, and for the FIRST time throughout these months says “I think this is the builder for us” hmmmm…

So, I went ahead and scheduled an appointment for the following day with their sales representative Ann Tabor who in turn scheduled an appointment with their designer Nick Buchanan in Ohio.

Here’s what transpired in 2.5 hours that day:
1. I picked a floor plan that suits us the best
2. On a 32” flat screen is the plan I just selected
3. Ann asked me what for the changes, then Nick clicked away right there in front of my eyes and changed the plans with ALL dimensions visible. Right there, I knew if I made something too small, or too large, etc. IT WAS SOOOO COOOL!!!!
4. Once done, and spent some more time with me and got my general selections entered (standard or upgrade, if upgrade, which class).
5. A printed 11x14 image of MY floor plan and elevation AND 14 page DETAILED bid of ALL that goes into the house, from the studs, to the simple door knob, from lot clearing fees to the drive way that would be there.

ALL THIS IN 2.5 HOURS!!!! AND ALL UNDER MY BUDGET!

Too good to be true? Yeah, I thought so too, so I went home, looked over every line item and EVERYTHING that goes into a house, was in that bid. I’m still pretty “schocked” :o) but happy. Ann Tabor worked magic. She was my fairy god mother, and conscience, making sure I stayed under my budget. So, from absolute doubt to a total believer, I can confidently say that we have at last FOUND OUR BUILDER!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment